Friday 20 November 2015

Memorable Tour

     There are many events that make wildlife touring fun, exciting and memorable. As a tour leader I am often found searching for inspiration when little wildlife is to be found, after all, it is the wildlife that our guests have paid to see. As a guide, it is my job to entertain our guests during times that wildlife is laying low for whatever reason. My knowledge of our region and environment helps for some time but at other times I have a riddle or two that entertains us while allowing us to monitor the area for any wildlife.
Crawler off Ithica Point

     My favorite riddle goes as such: "Why, when geese fly in a V-formation, is one side of the V often longer than the other? This may be a question of mathematics, science and practicality that has a very scientific explanation."
     At other times I ask our guests to introduce themselves and tell us where they come from. On day- long trips such as Lazy Bear Lodge's Tundra tours, up to 25 guests may be riding around on the Arctic Crawler all day. This introduction helps to know and find common interests to help break the ice and promote conversation between strangers.
Frozen Bear Tracks

     "The geese may be flying south or north, it doesn't seem to matter."
     At other times, I pass out advice. Many guests from warm climates may require advice that any of us raised in the cold of winter know from early in life. "For those of you from Hawaii, Australia or Florida, who may not know, do not stick your tongue onto any frozen metal. Your tongue will stick solidly to the metal until you bravely tear it off leaving it stretched out of shape and a large patch of tongue-skin left on the metal. The only way to get it unstuck is to pour warm saline water onto the metal until it releases your tongue. We do not carry saline water. The second best option is for me to pee on your tongue which will hopefully have enough volume and be warm enough to warm the metal.
Don't Touch That Post

     "The geese are probably honking as they are flying."
     Another thing to help break the ice and build teamwork and camaraderie is to make up some poetry or limericks about what they are seeing. I have some amazing examples written by some of my guests:


I am a polar bear

I like ice and snow

I never, ever shiver

I never feel cold

 

I swim in the water

I hunt on the ice

I think fat seals

Are especially nice

 

You might see me eating

A chunk of caribou

If you get too close

I might come after you

© Aum Nicol Gr. 3 teacher St. Clements School, Grande Prairie, Alberta
 
 
     "The geese may be white, grey and black or any other colour combination."
 
 
There once was a polar bear named Aurora

Who hoped that nobody saw her

She hid in her den

Until winters end

And when she came out

There was two more of her

Jennie Fawcett

 

The polar bear is white

The polar bear is bright

He will give you an almighty fright

If you meet him in the night

Jennie Fawcett


There was a young chap called Bob

Who worked at Lazy Bear Lodge

He took us out everyday

To see bears play

And dam was he good at his job

Janet Edginton

 

We came to a town called Churchill

It was very cold with a windchill

We’re named Arctic Hares

We came to see bears

And if we don’t spot them

Then Bob will
 
Hidden Polar Bears
 
 
     I try to make a game out of spotting wildlife. I have a knack for spotting wildlife and have helped many people enjoy their tours by finally spotting the critter.  Some times they can be very challenging to see, especially when the bear and Ptarmigan are white as is the snow. I make sure that everyone can see the critter or I try to get close enough so they do. It is a great help when other guests chime in to help too. This is a great game and is very rewarding once someone finally sees the critter. 
Hidden Polar Bear Family Revealed
 
     "Young geese may be taught this formation by their parents."
 
     Wildlife, especially large carnivores, is what people from around the world pay to see. These people also enjoy discussion and education about the environment, the history and some of the culture of the region. Guests are looking for great photographs, memories and hope to be entertained as well. As I drop them off at the airport, I am often as sad to see them go as they are. I am well satisfied when my departing guests shake my hand or give me a hug to say thanks for the best trip ever.
 
 
     "There are more geese in the long line!"
 
 
 
 
 






    

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy seeing your pictures and reading your journals with your adventures as a tour guide.

    ReplyDelete