Friday 5 May 2017

Leupold Binoculars

     A pleasant surprise came in the mail yesterday. A brand new set of Leupold 10x42 binoculars. I couldn't wait to open the package and try them out. They are fantastic; crystal clear with my eyeglasses on and without. They are light weight and comfortable to use.

     A month or so ago, I sent my old set to The Korth Group at Okotoks, Ab. on the advice of their sales rep Troy Flasch, who I met at the Edmonton Sports show. I had my previous set of Leupold Binoculars for about a dozen years and they have seen some tough use in all climates and weather conditions. I am a wildlife watching guide that has worked at Knight Inlet Lodge in B.C.'s temperate rainforest and enjoyed a Norman Carr safari in Zambia where I watched my first leopard. Those binos hung around my neck in Yellowstone and the Yukon as well as a full season with Polar bears and Beluga Whales at Lazy Bear Lodge at Churchill. I have struggled to identify thousands of birds and wondered at the delicate details of a grizzly's chin whiskers and dexterous lips. Weather has never crossed my mind when using them. Torrential downpours in the rainforest and the heat in Zambia or the frigid temperatures and snow of Northern Manitoba or Albertan winters have never caused me to hide those Leupolds in the safety of their protective case.
Leupold BX-2 Cascades 10x42

     I try now to purchase the best equipment that I can afford and these binoculars priced in the 500.00 to 700.00 range work very well for me. Believe me when I say that I have tried several different brands of cheaper glass only to be disappointed with foggy lenses, eye strain and fuzzy viewing. I am very careful about who I pass my binoculars to. People can be very careless and drop them or set them down in a puddle of mud or smear the lenses with their sticky fingers. I also hate to miss the action that occurs at the exact moment you pass your binos to a guest or wife. They should have their own set if they are going wildlife watching.
Leopard in the Grass


     Most good equipment comes with "Lifetime Warranty." Most manufacturers give you a booklet of fine print which details myriad ways for them to avoid paying out on this warranty. The most common issue used is human use. If you use your equipment you will probably damage it eventually, unless you only go to the opera. I would like to thank Troy at the Korth Group and Leupold for replacing my well used binoculars. I will continue to use my equipment to enjoy spotting and studying our fantastic wildlife viewing opportunities.

www.wildviewfinders.ca

www.korthgroup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment