Thursday 1 August 2024

Joys of a Small Kayak in a Small Lake

       It has been a few years since I have written a post so it is time to get back at it. I know there is at least one person out there who enjoyed reading these posts, so for her, I will try to be more diligent.

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to put my small kayak into a small, boreal forest pot-hole lake one beautiful summer day. After loading my safety gear and donning my lifejacket I launched myself into the calm, quiet water.


A distant and very wary common loon let its presence be known with its distant warbling call but did not let me get close enough for a photo with my cell phone.  As a semi-professional photographer, I learned another lesson on this trip; don't forget your batteries and battery charger for your good camera. How many times do I have to be reminded?  As I quietly paddled along, red-winged blackbirds warned me away from hidden nests, and various ducks managed to stay well out of range of this slow, ponderous potential predator. 




There is a quiet and subtle beauty here in the stillness. The variety of life within the calm water is innumerable. Among the forest, the reeds and cattails, the sedges and water plants are valuable habitat for  microscopic to huge animals such as moose that occasionally wade in to browse the nutrional  underwater plantlife. I love the subtle colour changes dependant upon the sun direction and the maturity of the various plants.





I take time to examine and appreciate the details of rich vibrant colors and patterns of the water lily flower and leaves. 






As I paddle along, I pause to use my binoculars to look for interesting creatures and details on the water's surface. I was fortunate to find this resting Mosaic Danner Dragonfly. I did not notice the creature hidden on the backside of the flower, perhaps trying to avoid the dragonfly's voracious appetite. Another lesson learned for me is to be more observant and to try to notice the details, not just the obvious. All these lessons have been learned many times in the past. I guess practice makes perfect, perhaps someday.

Enjoy the water when you can!!

No comments:

Post a Comment